Daily Mass readings

Explore Media and resources

Sun half dozen March

1st Sunday of Lent

First reading

Deuteronomy 26:4-10

The creed of the Chosen People

Moses said to the people: 'The priest shall accept the pannier from your paw and lay it earlier the altar of the Lord your God. Then, in the sight of the Lord your God, y'all must brand this pronouncement:
'"My father was a wandering Aramaean. He went downwardly into Egypt to observe refuge in that location, few in numbers; merely there he became a nation, keen, mighty, and stiff. The Egyptians sick-treated us, they gave u.s. no peace and inflicted harsh slavery on us. But we called on the Lord, the God of our fathers. The Lord heard our vocalization and saw our misery, our toil and our oppression; and the Lord brought us out of Arab republic of egypt with mighty hand and outstretched arm, with great terror, and with signs and wonders. He brought the states hither and gave us this land, a land where milk and dearest flow. Here then I bring the first-fruits of the produce of the soil that yous, the Lord, have given me."
'You must then lay them before the Lord your God, and bow down in the sight of the Lord your God.'

Psalm or anthem

Psalm xc(91):i-2,10-xv

He who dwells in the shelter of the Nigh Loftier
 and abides in the shade of the Omnipotent
says to the Lord: 'My refuge,
 my stronghold, my God in whom I trust!'

Upon you no evil shall fall,
 no plague approach where you dwell.
For you has he commanded his angels,
 to keep you in all your ways.

They shall comport you upon their hands
 lest you strike your human foot against a rock.
On the lion and the viper y'all will tread
 and trample the young lion and the dragon.

His beloved he prepare on me, so I will rescue him;
 protect him for he knows my name.
When he calls I shall reply: 'I am with yous,'
 I volition save him in distress and give him glory.

Second reading

Romans 10:8-thirteen

The creed of the Christian

Scripture says: The word (that is the faith we proclaim) is very near to yous, it is on your lips and in your eye. If your lips confess that Jesus is Lord and if you lot believe in your centre that God raised him from the expressionless, then you will be saved. By believing from the eye you are fabricated righteous; by confessing with your lips y'all are saved. When scripture says: those who believe in him volition have no cause for shame, it makes no distinction between Jew and Greek: all belong to the same Lord who is rich enough, nevertheless many ask his aid, for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Gospel

Luke 4:1-13

The temptation in the wilderness

Filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit through the wilderness, being tempted there past the devil for forty days. During that time he ate nothing and at the end he was hungry. Then the devil said to him, 'If y'all are the Son of God, tell this stone to turn into a loaf.' But Jesus replied, 'Scripture says: Homo does not live on bread alone.'
So leading him to a height, the devil showed him in a moment of fourth dimension all the kingdoms of the world and said to him, 'I will requite you all this power and the celebrity of these kingdoms, for it has been committed to me and I give it to anyone I choose. Worship me, then, and information technology shall all be yours.' But Jesus answered him, 'Scripture says:
You must worship the Lord your God,
and serve him alone.'

Then he led him to Jerusalem and fabricated him stand on the parapet of the Temple. 'If yous are the Son of God,' he said to him 'throw yourself down from hither, for scripture says:
He will put his angels in charge of you
to guard y'all,

and once more:
They will agree yous up on their hands
in instance you hurt your human foot against a stone.'

But Jesus answered him, 'It has been said:
Y'all must not put the Lord your God to the examination.'

Having exhausted all these ways of tempting him, the devil left him, to return at the appointed time.


This site copyright © 1996-2022 Universalis Publishing Ltd.

Scripture readings taken from The Jerusalem Bible, published and copyright © 1966, 1967 and 1968 past Darton, Longman & Todd, Ltd and Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc, and used by permission of the publishers. For on-line data about other Random House, Inc. books and authors, meet the Net web site at http://world wide web.randomhouse.com.

Sabbatum 5 March

Sabbatum later on Ash Wednesday

First reading

Isaiah 58:9-xiv

You will exist similar a spring whose waters never run dry out

The Lord says this:
If y'all do away with the yoke,
the clenched fist, the wicked word,
if you lot give your bread to the hungry,
and relief to the oppressed,
your light volition rise in the darkness,
and your shadows become similar apex.
The Lord will always guide you lot,
giving you lot relief in desert places.

He will give strength to your bones
and you shall be like a watered garden,
similar a spring of h2o
whose waters never run dry.

You will rebuild the ancient ruins,
build up on the erstwhile foundations.
Yous will be called 'Breach-mender',
'Restorer of ruined houses.'

If you refrain from trampling the sabbath,
and doing business on the holy day,
if you call the Sabbath 'Delightful',
and the 24-hour interval sacred to the Lord 'Honourable',
if you honour information technology past abstaining from travel,
from doing business and from gossip,
then shall you find your happiness in the Lord
and I will lead you triumphant over the heights of the country.
I will feed you on the heritage of Jacob your male parent.
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Psalm or canticle

Psalm 85(86):one-6

Plow your ear, O Lord, and give answer
 for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am faithful;
 save the servant who trusts in you.

Y'all are my God, have mercy on me, Lord,
 for I cry to you all the solar day long.
Give joy to your servant, O Lord,
 for to y'all I lift upwardly my soul.

O Lord, yous are good and forgiving,
 full of love to all who call.
Give heed, O Lord, to my prayer
 and attend to the sound of my phonation.

Gospel

Luke 5:27-32

Jesus comes not to call the virtuous, but sinners to repentance

Jesus noticed a taxation collector, Levi by name, sitting by the customs house, and said to him, 'Follow me.' And leaving everything he got up and followed him.
In his honour Levi held a great reception in his house, and with them at table was a large gathering of taxation collectors and others. The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples and said, 'Why do you swallow and drink with tax collectors and sinners?' Jesus said to them in reply, 'Information technology is non those who are well who need the dr., but the sick. I accept non come to telephone call the virtuous, but sinners to repentance.'


This site copyright © 1996-2022 Universalis Publishing Ltd.

Scripture readings taken from The Jerusalem Bible, published and copyright © 1966, 1967 and 1968 by Darton, Longman & Todd, Ltd and Doubleday, a partitioning of Random House, Inc, and used by permission of the publishers. For on-line information about other Random Firm, Inc. books and authors, see the Net spider web site at http://www.randomhouse.com.

Fri 4 March

Friday after Ash Wednesday, (commemoration of Saint Casimir)

Showtime reading

Isaiah 58:1-nine

The sort of fast that pleases me

Thus says the Lord:
Shout for all you lot are worth,
 heighten your voice like a trumpet.
Proclaim their faults to my people,
 their sins to the House of Jacob.

They seek me day after solar day,
 they long to know my ways,
like a nation that wants to deed with integrity
 and non ignore the constabulary of its God.

They ask me for laws that are just,
 they long for God to draw nearly:
'Why should we fast if you never see it,
 why do penance if you never notice?'

Look, yous do business on your fast-days,
 yous oppress all your workmen;
look, you quarrel and squabble when you fast
 and strike the poor man with your fist.

Fasting like yours today
 will never make your voice heard on loftier.
Is that the sort of fast that pleases me,
 a truly penitential day for men?

Hanging your head like a reed,
 lying down on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what y'all call fasting,
 a day adequate to the Lord?

Is not this the sort of fast that pleases me
 – it is the Lord who speaks –
to break unjust fetters and
 undo the thongs of the yoke,

to let the oppressed go costless,
 and pause every yoke,
to share your bread with the hungry,
 and shelter the homeless poor,

to clothe the human being yous encounter to be naked
 and not turn from your own kin?
Then will your low-cal shine like the dawn
 and your wound exist apace healed over.

Your integrity will go earlier you
 and the glory of the Lord behind you lot.
Cry, and the Lord volition answer;
 call, and he will say, 'I am hither.'

Psalm or anthem

Psalm fifty(51):3-half-dozen,18-19

Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness.
 In your pity blot out my offence.
O wash me more and more from my guilt
 and cleanse me from my sin.

My offences truly I know them;
 my sin is always before me
Confronting you, you alone, have I sinned;
 what is evil in your sight I take done.

For in sacrifice you have no delight,
 burnt offer from me you would refuse,
my sacrifice, a contrite spirit.
 A humbled, contrite heart you will not spurn.

Gospel

Matthew nine:xiv-fifteen

When the bridegroom is taken from them, so they will fast

John's disciples came to Jesus and said, 'Why is it that nosotros and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples practice not?' Jesus replied, 'Surely the bridegroom's attendants would never think of mourning every bit long as the benedict is however with them? But the fourth dimension volition come up for the bridegroom to be taken away from them, then they will fast.'


This site copyright © 1996-2022 Universalis Publishing Ltd.

Scripture readings taken from The Jerusalem Bible, published and copyright © 1966, 1967 and 1968 by Darton, Longman & Todd, Ltd and Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc, and used by permission of the publishers. For on-line information about other Random House, Inc. books and authors, see the Internet web site at http://www.randomhouse.com.